The Sneedville War

An ahistorical account of a war fought in a realm that just happens to be in a real geographical location with a wide temporal sway. No timelords involved, just the virtual overlord Mr Wargamer providing campaigning oversight. The main campaign is ran via the The Sneedville War blog here, https://thesneedvillewar.blogspot.com/2022/07/hello-world.html and video campaign here, https://youtu.be/ugvQCKrjNUY . 

 I have chosen to use old ACW 1/72nd scale because I've had them for nearly 20 years, unused, so they will be pressed into service as Knoxvillians and Kingsportians, KV and KP.  Though the campaign is using current Google Earth and Maps, I dug back into the archives to match my maps somewhat to the period like the upcoming fight at Big Stone Gap, KP.   This allows me to better appreciate the terrain at the time, though GE does an awesome job getting a flyover view of the terrain, if it only had a line of sight tool. I accessed the maps from https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/viewer/#6/37.213/-87.836, its a fun place to knock around and see what you can find.  


Big Stone Gap

The campaign is horse and musket era and pre-rail, so I try to access the archived maps for roads, bridges, or in the case of Bean's Station, no reservoir, no bridge, and no way they were crossing the Roger's Army over Noe's Ferry before KV's Army of the East fully occupied Morristown.

Bean's Station to Morristown c 1883


So this is my first update for the Sneedsville War, I'll keep playing with the formatting and try to post the Fight at Big Stone Gap in a day or so.

Comments

  1. So this battle was run by one player, I failed to have the minis painted in a timely manner to throw in my battle but I did develop four competing plans, left at Zeke's house, so essentially there was a loss by the Harlan Blitz of roughly 65 men with casualties at 113. They should recover later. it wound up essentially the same fight as one of my choices without the cav being used, not sure why.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Parkey Gap Holds!

Sneedville Campaign